Author Topic: Aluminum or steel??  (Read 384 times)

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aluminum or steel??
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:21:23 pm »
Hey guys.  I have a question regarding aluminum or steel for fuel lines.  My car is going to be strictly on the road...which way should I go?  The kit comes with aluminum, I've made and installed steel lines but to be honest, the AN fittings that I am going to use for adapting the steel tube to braided hose would seal better against an aluminum...although they can be used on steel lines. 
Which way would you guys go and why?
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
Re: Aluminum or steel??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 08:54:23 pm »
The InnerWebs will tell you the ethanol in our fuels will attack the aluminum line and rot it out. In our lifetime? If that is the case, what about the aluminum fuel bowls of carburetors, the aluminum fuel tank, the aluminum pressure regulator, I could go on.

I tried fabricating lines of Stainless - a real exercise in futility. Stuff won't bend with typical hot rod shop tools. I am presently working with Nickel Copper lines. The material has the formability of aluminum and the durabilty (and price) of stainless.

FYI

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:14 am »
Is it compatible with fuel?
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:21:50 pm »
To my knowledge, yes.

MFE III

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM #1053
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 12:08:30 pm »
Why not use braided SS throughout? That's what I did.
HM 1053; 427w, TKO 600 (.82) IRS Cobra hybrid . . . burns both rubber and gas