Author Topic: Update...QuickTime bellhousing won't fit on dowel pins.  (Read 355 times)

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Update...QuickTime bellhousing won't fit on dowel pins.
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:59:13 pm »
So, QuickTime sent me a new bell housing.  Go to install it, same problem, the pins go in the holes but it won't sit all the way down against the engine block.  So I took the bellhousing to a machine shop and asked them to ream the holes out to .500.  I get a call back from them today and they tell me the .500 reamer passed right through the bell without pulling off any metal.
So, I borrowed a micrometer from my brother and mic'd the dowel pins.  What I found is interesting.  They are not round.  They vary from .500 to .505 on both sides. Strange.
Should I hammer out these dowel pins and replace them or should I oversize the bellhousing holes to .506?  Not sure what to do and hoping you gents can offer some insight.
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Update...QuickTime bellhousing won't fit on dowel pins.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:04:55 am »
Problem solved.  I punched the dowel pins out of the block and then turned it around and inserted the end that had been in the engine block into the bell housing and guess what, it fit just fine.  Here is a pic of the dowel...you can see that it is bent.  I'm going to have a word with the engine builder...
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Update...QuickTime bellhousing won't fit on dowel pins.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »
Glad you found the problem and it was an easy fix. This is probably the first of several things you will run into during the build that should be straight forward, but for some reason don't quite work the way you expect. Hopefully they will be as easily solved. In most cases one of us has run into the problem before and can help. At least in my case that generally proved to be the case. Keep the progress reports coming.

Sam