Author Topic: Quicktime bell housing won't fit onto dowel pins...  (Read 345 times)

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quicktime bell housing won't fit onto dowel pins...
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:00:19 pm »
Hey guys, I wanted to run a situation by you and get your opinions...
I installed my flywheel today hoping to dial indicate the bell housing but I ran into a snag when installing the bell onto the block. 
First of all, I have a brand new DART based 427w.  It was built by Smeding Performance in TX.  I also have a TKO 600 with a Quick Time bell housing that was purchased new through MDL Driveline in Idaho.
The bell housing lines up and will fit about 1/16" to 1/8" down onto the dowel pins but then it will get stuck and no amount of pushing will get it on.  I called MDL who immediately contacted Quicktime.  They were told that based on manufacturing techniques it is highly unlikely that the bell is the problem.
I pulled the bell off, rotated it and tried to just get one side to go onto a dowel pin at a time...same problem, could not get the bell housing hole to slide onto the dowel pin more than 1/16-1/8". 
Obviously, I have a dowel pin or a bellhousing hole problem.  I find it highly unlikely that the bell is the problem since the dowel pins were probably hammered into the block. 
My question...how the heck should I handle this?
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
Re: Quicktime bell housing won't fit onto dowel pins...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:29 pm »
Aaron
couple possibilities
  • check the diameter of the pins with a micrometer and also check the size of the hole with a micrometer or good caliper. They should be within a couple thousands of the same size.
  • Hold a machinist square against the block and the dowel pin. It must be perpendicular to the block or you'll have issues.

Since you say you can't get even one dowel pin to into the bellhousing, it has to be one of these issues. I bet you find the hole in the bellhousing is undersize.  With that said, Quiktime has more than their fair share of quality issues.  Try to find  your local clutch/transmission guy who can look over your shoulder. It can be fixed but it is going to take some technical correction.

If you have to open the holes, do it with a quality reamer, not just drilling them out.

Are you using adjustable offset pins? Remember, once  you bolt the bellhousing on, you still have to indicate the centerlines to make sure they all line up correctly.

Paul

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quicktime bell housing won't fit onto dowel pins...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:48:46 pm »
Thanks Paul.  I appreciate the advice.  Here's the update as of today. I am certain the problem is NOT with the dowel pins. They measure .4998 and .5000 respectively, which is within tolerance. The holes in the bell housing measure .4980 on both sides. I am thinking the bellhousing is the issue. I put a call into Modern Driveline in Idaho, who provided the parts. I gotta say, this is a real class act crew. He immediately got on the phone with Quick-time they both decided to send me a new bell housing. He personally checked the holes in the new bell with a pin set and verified they will take a .5000 pin set. He put the bell in the mail today. AWESOME service.
I'll keep you guys posted on what transpires...
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.