Author Topic: 2, 3 or 4 bolt setup with engine hoist leveler?  (Read 316 times)

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
2, 3 or 4 bolt setup with engine hoist leveler?
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:21:13 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm picking the engine out of its crate to assemble the clutch, flywheel and trans.  When the builder put it in the crate they had all the front accessories attached.  They only have two grade 8 bolts in the front left and the rear right cylinder heads for lifting.  I can easily put in a 3rd bolt in the left rear but in order to get the fourth bolt in the front right, I would have to remove the accessories off the front of the engine which is going to be problematic with it still in the crate. 
Is it OK to lift this engine with just the 2 grade 8 bolts they have left for me in the cylinder heads?  Or should I find a way to attach 4?  I know I can get 3 without an issue, maybe I should do that.  Anyway, let me know...I have a 2 ton strongway lift with a chain leveler from Northern Tool.
Thanks in advance!
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
Re: 2, 3 or 4 bolt setup with engine hoist leveler?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:24:46 pm »
 2 bolts are fine, as long as they are diagonal. Tighten the bolts down on the chain so there isn't any bending load applied to the bolt and you'll be fine

Paul