Author Topic: Assembling powertrain...  (Read 610 times)

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Assembling powertrain...
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:23:35 pm »
Hey guys!
I am in Arizona for the rest of this week and next but when I get back I am planning on assembling the engine/trans and installing it.  Ive got a 427w that I am mating to a Tremec TKO 600.  I have NEVER done this before.  I have a few questions...
1.) Should I use red or blue Loc-Tite and on which bolts?  Flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, etc...
2.) Dial indicating the bell housing...this looks intimidating but is it really?  Any tips?
3.) Can I assemble this thing while it is hanging on my engine hoist?
4.) Does the x-brace need to be in to support the trans immediately or can the trans "hang" on the engine?  If so, what size bolts do I need on the x-brace.  (I didn't see a reference in the manual...maybe I missed it somewhere.)
That is it for now...hopefully my next pics are of the motor and trans IN!
Thanks guys!!
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
Re: Assembling powertrain...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:10:06 pm »
1) I don't use Red Loctite anywhere. It takes heat to get it apart and definitely is not user friendly

2) Biggest problem to indicating the housing is having the correct magnetic stand that will allow your dial indicator to turn with the crank yet still reach the hole for the transmission.  It can get confusing. Either read up on it, keep a copy of the instructions handy and hopefully, have a helper who has done it before or is mechanically inclined.

3) To indicate the housing, the engine needs to be on a stand that will allow the bell housing - Most don't. You may have to build a stand to accomplish this. You need to be able to get a wrench on the other end of the crank to turn it over while you're doing it. And you don't want the bellhousing resting on the floor as that may affect the readings.

4) The X-Brace needs to be in before you drop in the engine. If the the tailshaft is not supported, you run the risk of tearing the motor mounts.

Paul

ps: sent you an email/pm

Kruse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:05:58 am »
use 7/16' bolts for a little wiggle room. and I don't think you need Loctite on bell housing bolts.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:21:34 am by Kruse »
lead builder

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build in progress!
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 10:05:51 am »
I just did this:

Dial in bell housing:   I had the engine builder do it, Lance Smith at Craft Performance.  However, Lance told me that with a new Dart block, and a new Quicktime bell housing, they are machined with such tight tolerances that is really isn't necessary.  Mine came in right on the mark without any offset needed.

Bell housing bolts:  no loctite.

Assembling the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch:  The cradle my engine was delivered on uses two bell housing bolt holes, so I couldn't assemble it sitting on the floor.  I installed the engine on the chassis with the engine mounts, and kept a little tension on the engine hoist chain, then installed the backing plate, flywheel, clutch there.   You will need to have someone put a ratchet on the front crank bolt to offset the torque you'll be putting on the back end and prevent the crank from turning.  And don't forget the pilot bearing first!

The ARP bolts I used on the flywheel and clutch recommended loctite and the torque settings.

good luck,

120mm

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:47:26 am »
use 7/16' bolts for a little wiggle room. and I don't think you need Loctite on bell housing bolts.

That bolt was properly torqued, yet somehow managed to get loose, bounce off the torque converter and exit the bellhousing at a decent velocity.

That's off my 67 Mustang convertible.
A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 02:43:19 pm »
Aaron, I will add my two cents.
No Loctite on the bell housing, but I always use it on the Flywheel and clutch bolts (most of the time I use "red" unless I know I am going to be back soon).

If you don't have a cradle put your motor mounts on and set down on jack stands on either side, but keep some weight on the hoist while you assemble the clutch and bell. Needs to be fairly solid so you can wrench the motor over to dial in (remove the spark plugs - to make it easier).

On your X brace, probably not an issue yet but be sure to put the bolts in from the bottom so they don't become "trapped" after the tub is on.

Good luck - let us know if you get stuck.
Mark 

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 11:16:41 pm »
You guys, thanks for the valuable advice.  Thats what is so awesome about this forum...great advice from people who have all been there and done that.  It makes the build that more enjoyable.
So:
Loctite (blue) the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel bolts, NO loctite on the bellhousing bolts.
There is a good chance the bell doesn't need to be "offset" since it is a new Dart block and QuickTime bell-housing.  I'll go through the process anyway and hope there is no offset needed.
I'll use the hoist with some tension on the chain to mount the engine...great advice...didn't think of this.
ALSO, I'll put the bolts for the cross brace in from the bottom. 
I just purchased an engine hoist from Northern Tool.  They have a really nice 2 ton that went on sale last week for 200 bucks.  Snapped it up.  I could've rented one for 40 bucks for the week but I have a feeling that this hoist will get some somewhat regular use.  Plus, there are a few cobra guys up here who have all loaned me tools but no one has an engine hoist so this will be my way of contributing back to the group.  Wish me luck and I will post with questions. 
I've been in Arizona all week and most of this coming week.  Just spent the night on a beautiful patio enjoying some fine single malt scotch...I'm going to live up this vacation and then get back to the work on the car.
Thanks guys!
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.