Author Topic: Aluminum Fuel Cell  (Read 665 times)

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aluminum Fuel Cell
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:25:16 pm »
Hey guys,
For those of you who have installed the aluminum fuel cell, what kind of product did you use to seal the cork gasket for the sending unit to the tank?
When I built the airplane we used a product called pro seal to seal the fuel tanks.  It's a messy bear to work with but it seals well.  I was thinking of using that but if there is something easier to use that I can just buy at NAPA, let me know.
Also, did you all use the supplied screws or did you use something else to hold the sending unit in place?
Now I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear Lord, protect my hide.

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aluminum Fuel Cell
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:21:49 am »
I used Sealall on mine.  Gas and oil resistant.  You can get this at most auto part stores.  I also used it to seal the vent fitting on my fuel tank as well.  Who ever tapped the bung overran the tap for a NPT thread that is supposed to be tapered.

There were no screws supplied with my sending unit.  I believe they are 10-24 screws.  Supplied my own.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:56:30 pm »
Aaron, if you have some ProSeal, go for it. Works great. I've also use SealAll and PermaTex Moto-Seal.

There are a limited number of sealants that will not breakdown with prolonged exposure to liquid gasoline.

Paul

Spuddyboy

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 02:19:03 pm »

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 03:53:14 pm »
Just installed the fuel tank level sending unit this week. I used the Pematex Pemashield. Pematex indicates it is comparable to Hylomar Universal Blue developed for Daimler Benz. It never completely dries or hardens. About $9 at NAPA.
Time will tell how well it works.
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive