Author Topic: HM-2005 Build Thread  (Read 2690 times)

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-2005 Build Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:30 am »
Russ, when I moved here to Texas I registred mine as an antique and didn't have to do any inspection at all and no annual inspection.

Sam

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2017, 05:50:04 am »
Sam -- Sent you a PM

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2017, 06:12:34 am »
Installed the emblems.  Used some #4010 3M clear mounting double sided mounting tape.  The package says it is good for indoor and outdoor so should work just fine for the emblems.  Nice sticky stuff.  Ground the mounting nibs off the emblems first.  This tape is crystal clear and thick enough for the edge on the side emblems so it sticks to the body.  Not the foam type.  The tape is 1" wide so works well with the side emblems.  Used 2 widths for the round emblems.  Trimmed the edges with a pair of scissors angled over so it undercut the edges.  Seems to work great.

My wife says my car is officially a Cobra (alright a replica) now that it has the emblems on it.

Used the ERA instructions on placement.

Russ

Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2017, 07:13:23 am »
Looking good, ready to tackle the interior??

Mark

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2017, 09:47:03 am »
 Russ,
My Wife and I had a discussion the other day on if we should drill holes for the badges. We chose to go with the same solution as you did. Our stripes will also be white, so the clear adhesive will work well for us too.  I'm not sure if the dimples on the hood and trunk lid are for placement of the holes for the badges, but they were not centered.
You Cobra is really coming together very nicely. It won't be long now.

Russ C
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2017, 06:09:47 am »
Mark -- made a templet yesterday to make the door thresholds out of 3/4" MDF instead of the aluminum.  Will cut them out today and cover them with carpet.  I believe you did something similar out of plywood.  Chose 3/4" so it gave some width to the thresholds.  Will make some brackets so the MDF thresholds attach to the body mounting bolts.  Might run a couple of trim screws thru the fiberglass at the threshold to hold the tops securely.

Got all the carpet pieces out so I know where they go.  I had done that a year or so ago and found out I was missing a couple.  Hurricane provided those.  I have a list somewhere of the number of carpet pieces that are required.  I have also asked Jason if Hurricane ever finished up the floor mats for the Gen II cars.  He hasn't responded if they have them or not.  They should as the carpet pieces for the bottom of the footboxes would work just fine.  Just need a heel protector and maybe the Hurricane logo embroidered into it.  Might make my own without the logo.  There is someone that makes custom Cobra floor mats if you send them a drawing with the dimensions.  They embroidery the Cobra logo into them.

Russ -- You won't see the clear adhesive of the tape.  I undercut the circular emblems by tilting the scissors and the rectangular emblems are plenty wide for the 1" tape.  I believe the dimples were where they original car emblems were.  My dimples are long gone.
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2017, 07:59:09 pm »
I went to Cobra Restorers who made custom mats for me. Picture below. I cut a template of the dropbox and sent it to them. They embroidered the cobra logo and bound the carpet. They've held up well.

My original set had a heal pad but it really was no use. I learned I had to add a shield on the clutch side, my foot was wearing a path on the carpet. I took a piece of stainless and bent it to match the curves then screwed it to the dropbox metal.

After using them for awhile, I learned I needed to anchor them to keep them from sliding. Put a large grommet in the center of the back edge and turned a mushroom shaped stool and bolted it to the box so the rear of the mat was retained from sliding forward

Paul

ps: my door sill is a 3/4" wide extruded aluminum tile edge that I formed to fit the opening and the small D-lip slips down over the edge of the carpet.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:00:50 pm by Paul Proefrock »

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2017, 05:57:44 am »
Thanks Paul.  Really looks nice.

Guess I could use a shoulder screw to hold the mats since I don't have a lathe. I do have a grommet tool.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS