Author Topic: HM-2005 Build Thread  (Read 3095 times)

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-2005 Build Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2017, 06:32:46 am »
Here's the roll bar with plates and grommets.  Used 8-32 x 1" stainless oval head screws with flat washer and nylon locking nuts.
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2017, 08:23:56 am »
Russ, thanks for the update.  My car came with the old "bug eye" head light buckets and I had to change them for the Wipac buckets as well. I also did the same as you on the quick jacks and hood scoop. Like you said, final assembly is fun and you can throw the boxes away. Keep the pics coming. It won't be long now.

Sam

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:07 am »
Russ,
Your car looks great. The stripes compliment the base color well. Thanks for the tips on the head light buckets and jacks. Our body/painter requested that he mount the headlights, so I will be passing that information to him. Yes, it does feel good to see those boxes go away. I have condence the remaining material into two smaller boxes. One for th body guy and the other for when the car comes back. Please continue to update us on the project. Thanks for sharing.
Russ C
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2017, 01:30:58 pm »
Thanks Russ.  Yeah, I chose that color combination 6 years ago and haven't deviated.

Here the side vents after I got them installed.  I made some brackets from 1-1/4" angle, drilled some holes and put riv-nuts in the brackets.  I had the body guy glue the brackets/vents in as an assembly with panel/seam adhesive.  He used some extra long vice grip clamps that he had modified for the extra length.  Worked really well.  Better than I could have done.  Removed the vents so he could finish up the body work.  I used some 10-24 x 3/4" stainless button head screws to hold the side vents in place.  That way they can be removed if needed.  Here's some pix.

Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2017, 07:23:28 am »
Looking awesome - Cannot wait to see it outside  (in person).

Mark

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2017, 01:01:07 pm »
Here's some pix of my car after I got it running again and moved it outside.  The sun really brings out the color.

Still have to install the interior (carpets, thresholds, etc.) and some sheet metal pieces in the nose and inside fenders.

Getting a lot closer to having it on the road.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2017, 05:21:14 pm »
Russ,
The car is looking great. The stripes make a good contrast with the dark blue. Did you use the ERA stripe layout?
Russ C

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2017, 10:37:34 pm »
Russ, looking good! Won't be long now....

Sam

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2017, 05:41:21 am »
I used a pretty simple stripe layout.  I had the stripe info from ERA, FFR, Superformance and one other.

6-7/8" at the nose carry down to bottom of oil cooler scoop
7-1/2" at the front cowl (under windshield)
7-1/2" at the rear cowl
6-7/8" at top of trunk lid carry down to bottom of trunk
1" between stripes
No pin stripes

BTW, I pushed my car out on the driveway to get it started again after sitting for about 9 months.  Primed the oil and filled the fuel bowls in the carb.  Started right up.  Drove it back into the garage.  Sure was nice feeling to be able to drive it again.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2017, 07:01:22 am »
Yippee - fun stuff there (did you really only drive it 40'?)

Mark

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2017, 05:47:17 am »
Nope.  Actually only drove it 20'.  Only drove it back into the garage that day.

Here's a pix of the engine compartment.  Had bought those pentop wanna be FE valve covers when Ford Racing came out with them.  Finally got them installed.  Sure like the FelPro gasket that Ford recommends using.  Metal frame with rubber compound molded on.  No cork gasket here.  Should seal really well with the aluminum valve covers.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2017, 06:32:29 am »
Another gremlin popped up.  Installation of the windshield wipers has been a "can of worms" using Mark's terminology.  First had to sand the chrome bezel pieces as the angle of the shafts that stick through the body are not 45 deg.  Sanded the angle of the bezel pieces so they fit flush with the cowl.  Had to also sand the pieces of rubber tubing that fit under the cowl to the same angle.  Plus had to make some new gaskets from a black plastic coffee can lid since the ones supplied now were too short for the new angle.  Thanks to Mark for the suggestion to use the coffee can lid. 

Got everything installed and the transmissions tightened up snugly on the cowl and I thought everything was fine.

Waited until I got the battery installed before I installed the wiper arms/blades to see which side they parked.  The wiper arms are bent to park on the passenger side.  When I turn the wipers on, the parked on the drivers side.  So, I put the arms in the vice and used a large crescent wrench and bent them for the opposite side.  No problem, except I didn't notice that the drivers side parked on the drivers side and passenger side parked on the passenger side.  So instead of both arms operating in parallel, they were operating towards each other like the wipers from the '50s.  What the heck???

Seems during the installation of the wiper mechanism when I had the dash out, I had removed the passenger side transmission.  When I put it in, I somehow reversed the transmission so the instead of the cable on the bottom, I put it on the top.  Oops.  Now the dash is in and access is minimal at best.  I've got the pull the passenger transmission out and turn it over (spin it 180deg) so it will park towards the drivers side.  I can get to it without pulling the dash as there isn't much on that side except my MSD ignition box.  Just have to pull that so I can get my grimy hands up under the dash to get to the transmission assembly.

Here's a pix of the backside of the transmission assembly installed on the cowl. 

So the purpose of this post is to make sure both transmissions are oriented the same or the wipers will work in opposite directions.  Also, depending on which side you want the wipers to park, you can change that just by rotating the transmissions by 180deg.  There is a procedure for changing which side the Lucas wiper motor will park by taking it apart and rotating a gear by 180deg.  Unfortunately, if you already have your dash installed and body on, the removal of the wiper motor is almost impossible.  It can be done if you take the dash out so you can get to the transmissions and tubing assembly.  But that is many man hours.  Also, you can change the angle on the wiper arms by bending them the opposite direction if your careful.  The arms are made of stainless.

Hopefully, this post will keep others from making the same mistake I did and also the options you have concerning which side the wiper mechanism you want it to park.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build in progress!
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2017, 08:50:26 am »
Nope.  Actually only drove it 20'.  Only drove it back into the garage that day.

Here's a pix of the engine compartment.  Had bought those pentop wanna be FE valve covers when Ford Racing came out with them.  Finally got them installed.  Sure like the FelPro gasket that Ford recommends using.  Metal frame with rubber compound molded on.  No cork gasket here.  Should seal really well with the aluminum valve covers.

Russ

Those are the valve covers I ordered with my engine.  Love 'em!

Trigo 15" hallibrands w/Goodyear Billboards

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2017, 10:47:03 am »
Russ,
Thank you for the wiper parking tip. Now that I think about it, mine is currently parking on the left-hand side. Our body/paint guy will be taking the body off one last time after the first primer cote to rhino line the underside of the body. I will make the needed change to the wiper motor assembly for right-hand parking at that time.
Russ C

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2017, 06:05:46 am »
Here's an update on my wiper mechanism.  Got the passenger side transmission assembly turned over so it looks like the picture above.  Had to remove my MSD ignition module and had plenty of access.  Unfortunately, it was still way up under the dash and had to use a mirror to see.  It ain't so easy when you get older.

Fortunately, didn't have to get to the driver side as it would require removing the dash due to all the gauges, fuse panels and wiring.

Do yourself a favor and throw the fillister head screws that attach the plate that holds everything together on the transmission assemblies.  These are the ones that come from Lucas.  They almost have a slot to get a flat blade screwdriver in.  It was a real pain to get them removed especially way up under the dash.  I replaced them with 10-32 socket head screws  (thought at first they were 5mm).  Used a small drop of superglue to keep the split lock washer on so I could get them started up side down.  Used a allen "T" wrench to tighten them down.

Now both sides are in synchronization.  Both side park also on the driver side.  As I said before, had to bend the wiper arms for parking on the driver side.

Hopefully, I will only have to use the wipers once when I get my car inspected for registration.  In Texas if you register it as an antique auto you don't have to go through annual inspection.
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS