Author Topic: 1099  (Read 11544 times)

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:27:09 am »
I am supposed to pick up hurricane #1099 on Saturday and I cannot wait!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:47:14 am by Grubb »

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1099
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:49:20 am »
another...

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:52:41 am »
motor...

Spuddyboy

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:48:58 pm »
Welcome!

I'm a newbie myself, got HM 11103 last month.

I am having a blast, but keep in mind I like abuse too!  ;D

I love the flip-flops in the motor picture (see my build pics).  I like your assitant too, though it seems like there might be a little mischief afoot there.

Our motors seem very similar, did you build yours?

Regards,
Evan

jwd

• Previous Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:53:59 pm »
Hi Chris

Looks like you have a couple of great helpers. Having the motor already finished really speeds things up. Have fun and enjoy the build.

Jim
HM#1065, 351W,TKO 600 (.82 5th), 3.27

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:47:57 pm »
I will have 2 full time assistants for the build... the bigger one is my wife, Annette and the little mischievious one is Jack.  He's 2 and a half and is actually quite a bit of help.  He's been "helping" me with my car projects since he was able to walk.  He can fetch a lot of tools these days as he knows what most of them are called.  He hasn't mastered telling the difference between a 1/4" and 5/16" socket or anything complicated, but he can sure bring me a big phillips screwdriver, various washers, nuts, bolts and the occasional torque wrench.  

Flip flops are my main form of foot attire when working in the garage, especially when it's warm out.  Yes, it was 85 today here in Northwest Arkansas!  I hope it doesn't cool off too quickly... say before I really get going on the build.  

As for the motor... I pulled it from an 86 mustang (but it's an 87 block) and tore it down.  I discovered it was in really good shape down low but still had the stock heads.  So, I massaged it a little, replaced the oil pump, gaskets, seals and such while I was in there and put it back together.  Ok, I assisted Jack in putting it back together... maybe I'll be as good a mechanic as he is some day.

I still have the 86 mustang gt convertible roller, if anyone wants it I'm selling it cheap!  I've got to clear some space in my driveway.  I just sold my 1970 Buick Skylark to help finance this little venture.  

Jim, Evan, I appreciate your replies and look forward to speaking with you in the future... I'm surprised people actually read this post.

Regards,

Chris

Spuddyboy

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 06:38:55 am »
Hi Chris,

I love to browse through the build pictures. they are quite useful really.

You will find lots of help here. Don't be shy about asking. I usually find answers here that the manual doesn't cover. And, when you are stuck, somebody here has faced the same situation.

Have a great time.

Evan

radtexas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 06:18:49 am »
Here are some specs:

I'm planning to use a 302 with Windsor Jr. heads, mild cam and T-5 manual transmission.

Fuzzy

• Hurricane Owner
  • Every day is a roadstr day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 08:30:08 am »
Chris,
Good to see you have the family all in tune to helping, you're a lucky guy for that kind of help.  Now about those safety shoes...... I lost a couple of toenails and spent time in a cast over the past three years working on my old rat roadster due to some unforeseen slips and drops...me thinks at least a pair of running shoes would be a bit better.
Enjoy the build and the together time...you're off to a great start.
Ken
HM1081:)   aging gracefully in the garage

danc30

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-1073
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 10:44:04 am »
Chris, Annette and Jack, Welcome to the family.

I'm sure you will all have some great times putting this new project together and don't hesitate to ask questions when you get stuck, (it's not like asking directions when your lost or anything) ::)

Sounds like Jack knows more about the tools than I do,  :-[

Hope everything goes well with the pick-up TOMORROW  [smiley=beer.gif]

We love pictures here, keep them coming.

Dan
KC- Genesis 427-SO, 482-CI - 622 FWHP/630 FWTQ "Almost" too much power.....

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 11:16:20 pm »
Went to pick up 1099 today, what a blast!  Mike and the whole crew were very inviting and I could tell the atmosphere is a pleasant one.  You can tell the great people that work at Hurricane really enjoy their jobs!  Even though it was a pain to get us loaded up because we wanted to do all the suspension work ourselves, the guys didn't seem to mind and smiled all the while.

Here are some pictures of the journey...

Me posing after seeing our car for the first time in person...

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 11:18:19 pm »
This is what a loaded Hurricane looks like... a full truck load of parts and precious cargo on the flat bed trailer...

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 11:20:23 pm »
My first "drive"... that's my brother-in-law, Tom, standing on the edge of the trailer.  I couldn't have done it without him!

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 11:23:19 pm »
...and this was my second "ride"

I felt like a tank driver with my head just poking out... just so you know, I was goofing off here... so if you keep up with this thread get used to seeing me in goofy poses.

Grubb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 11:31:27 pm »
...and this was our solution to getting the non-roller cobra off the trailer... yes, this is the redneck, Arkansas way of doing things, but it worked beautifully!  A special thanks to my other brother-in-law, Robert, for supplying heavy duty lifting straps, some car dollies he uses at his job to move wrecked cars around, and this great idea!  Robert is an engineer who works for Renfro Engineering - they specialize in auto crash analysis and have recently started building specialty vehicles for the U.S. military... Robert is a very handy guy to have around for sure.  Also a special thanks again to Tom for supplying the tractor, truck, trailer and a full day of fun-filled driving to pick the cobra up!

Thanks again guys!